BEDTIME

As I sit here in my room, by myself, listening to my daughter cry, I wonder is it really awful of me to wish she would just go to sleep?  I mean, 2 of the kids are at school 7 hours a day, 1 is at school 2.5 hours a day and 1 is at school 2.5 hours every other day and so doing the math, they are all home for about 5 hours in the evening.  In that 5 hours, I am completely exhausted by my children.  So, when I ask them to put on their jammies, go potty, brush their teeth, read stories, say prayers and tuck them in all by 8:30, I am ready for the rest of my evening....alone!  Is this terrible?  Then, I spend the next 60-90 minutes telling my kids to get back in bed, stop talking, stop fighting, "yes" you can get a banana, a drink of water, chapstick, warmer jammies, socks, more blankets......and on and on and on.....!  I feel guilty that I can't spend every waking moment that they are home feeling overwhelming love and joy with them.  I absolutely love my children, but I also love when they go to bed.  Am I selfish with my time?  I spent lots of time grocery shopping, cooking, and doing all my "work", but I also play a lot of tennis!  This week, I have played 2.5 hours with 2.5 hours on the schedule tomorrow.  So then, shouldn't I feel like I their time with me is their time??  Shouldn't we do what they want to do? Does that mean then that they can run around until all hours of the night?  Isn't bedtime good for all of us????   
Signed, Confused!

3 comments:

Mom said...

children can be exhausting, but they need boundries. my suggestion would be to make sure all of the banannas, drinks of water, warmer pj's, socks blankets and chapstick be handled before they get into bed at 8:30. Make sure they understand there will be no more of that after they get in bed and then follow through. There will be some tears for a few days until they realize that you are serious. it will make for a much more peaceful evening! I am so proud of you for all you do as a Mother, and I love you so so so much! Mom

Kelly Frye said...

I am glad someone else has the same feelings I do! I only have one, but when it is time for bed sometimes I am very happy because I get me time!! I think it is good to recharge us for the next day and we need that time!!!

Kelly Frye said...

This is Rebecca...

Um, no way should you feel guilty! That's crazy talk! You spend 98 percent of your thoughts and time on them... it's crazy NOT to want at least some time during the day for yourself. I mean, man oh man!