Feb. 1, 2009

This week, I learned that Rachel's dad, Jim Stotts, has stage 3 breast cancer.  What started as a "cyst" that continued to bother Jim, ended in a complete mastectomy with radiation and chemo to follow.  Rachel and I have been friends for 13 years, this month.  We have had such a great relationship - no drama!  When I first came to the singles ward, Rachel was one of the only girls who hadn't dated Russ, and was willing to give me a chance.  I was so grateful for her then and am still grateful for her now - everyday.  Unfortunately, we have never lived close to each other since then, but have remained close and talk often.  Having just lost my father-in-law, I have a greater understanding of the fear, anxiety, sadness she is feeling.  Rachel also just announced that she is pregnant with her 5th child.  I am excited for her, although she is now feeling the burden of a sick father as well as being sick from the pregnacy.  I am fasting today for her, her family and the strength they will all need to endure this challenging time.  It will be difficult.

No comments: